Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dangling Guidelines

Last week we went for a tour of architectural sites being developed by our company... it was a beautiful day and I discovered an interesting building technique that stuck in my head: dangling objects where suspended all over the construction site... After a little investigation, I found out that they are random objects suspended at the end of a piece of string in order to weigh it down so it is keeps a straight line and allows the buildings walls to be constructed accordingly...

I started to wonder, what are the different things that weigh us down, that keep us going in a certain direction? How often do they change? Or do they? Is it love? Health? Career? Family? Friends? Religion? How important are each of our dangling weights? And how are they helping shape our lives? Is one facet more important than the other? Or is it more important now? And will it change with time? Will the construction of our self, our soul, our life, ever be over? Or will we always be consumed with that mission: perfecting our inner space and elevating it to new standards?

Every once in a while, we need to buy more materials, consider new plans, and meet with the architect... but eventually it is up to us to take the decisions that will allow us to achieve the best result, taking into consideration the budget constraints and the time frame...

1 Comments:

At Sunday, January 21, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

What a great metaphor! I have a thing for hanging objects and mobiles. I hang things all over my house. I never thought of them as weights that either ground us or weigh us down. You have given me something to reflect upon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home