Saturday, June 23, 2007

Illusions/Happiness

For a certain time now, I have been trying to find a certain guaranteed formula for success and happiness. I believed that if I followed a certain path, if I worked hard, stuck to a job, planned out my future, that I would be happy. I thought that I had to get certain things done by a certain time for me to fully enjoy my status as a successful individual. Getting a better salary, getting a master's degree, getting a house, and getting married, in that order, were supposed to determine how much joy fills my life. However, life, is never that simple. And happiness is never guaranteed. Sometimes its good to have milestones + deadlines but sometimes, hanging on to them too tightly can choke the life out of them and prevent them from providing a certain comfort once they are attained.

More important than the when, is the how... and with whom... so no matter the time line, its the experience itself that makes it worthwhile. Maybe the list isn't chronological, maybe its simultaneous, maybe some things need to shift... maybe...

What is sure is that decisions need to be made, courageous decisions... and maybe it's ok not to have a plan for a while, or at least to allow room for change within it... I don't know... I'm trying... but maybe the real strategy to follow is to be happy now, because it's a road not a destination... I don't know/ old habits die hard... and sometimes new ones are just a blur...

2 Comments:

At Sunday, June 24, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

"The road is made by walking..." a translation of line in an Antonio Machado poem, translated. I'm nearing my fortieth birthday and still asking myself the same questions. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I have had to for answers though, and hopefully you won't have to wait so long for a partner!
Thinking of you,
M

 
At Tuesday, July 03, 2007 , Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Asynchronous, but synchronistic, posts...mine from late today, and yours here.

I've long been a planning sort of person, but I found that the best way for me was just to go, to start, because no matter how much time and energy I put into making a clear path, things always change and no amount of planning makes me less scared.

As for today?
Wishing you peace, and at least one great phone call from a friend telling hilarious stories.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home