Sunday, July 30, 2006

A Rag Doll's Plea

Dear all,

I am a little rag doll who has lost her owner. Yesterday she played with me, combed my hair, and showed me off to all her friends. There were quite a few of them, all huddled together in the basement. For a moment I was lost as a little boy grabbed me by the arms and tossed me high into the air, but then my owner rescued me and cradled me in her arms once again.

Today, I am discarded, just another toy buried underneath a pile of stones, which used to be our playroom.
My owner, that beautiful girl is laying near by, eyes closed, clothes torn, her fragile body coated in white dust. Has she become an angel? She seems to be at peace, I wonder when she'll wake up and keep me safe in her arms. I am a bit scared... I heard rockets overhead, but i'm used to them by now. My owner used to count them, but she is silent now, so I guess she doesn't know how to count that much.

People are running around me. I guess the game of hide and seek is over. Quick! Wake up! Let's hide in the toilet!
Quick! I see a man wearing a red cross coming towards you, lifting you gently... Why don't you take me along? Aren't I your favorite doll? You promised! You promised!

I'm worried now. Your nap usually lasts 1 hour, and since there has been constant bombing you haven't been getting much sleep, but you were never quiet for so long. Why aren't you singing? Why aren't you soaking up the sun, teasing your brother, hiding his slippers?

Then I see your mother, the woman who washes me when I get dirty after being dragged around the house all day, but she doesn't pick me up as usual. She is crying and calling your name, over and over. Answer her! Why are you so silent? Where are the others? Why is there so much noise? Who are all these people?

Wait! Pick me up! Tell me what is going on!Don't take her away!We haven't finished playing... We haven't... She promised to comb my hair before we left Qana. She promised...

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 31, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what words to put down. "A Rag Doll's Plea" has moved me to the point of tears. The words are beautiful yet ugly. Is this possible? It seems so.

These horrible murders must stop. What does killing children accomplish? Nothing...not a thing. Senseless.

This American wishes nothing but peace for Lebanon.

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The perspective is heartwrenching.

 
At Friday, August 11, 2006 , Blogger Helen E Cosmetics said...

So moving and so sad
I have posted this on my blog,hope you don't mind.

Caroline x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home